Monday, July 28, 2008

Sex Positivity in Practice

A few months ago, I completely revamped my relationship status- when I realized that I had the option of multiple relationships, I started rethinking pretty much everything else, too. I finally admitted that I was bi, had a hypnosis and mind control fetish, and started considering interest in BDSM and other forms of kinkiness. 

In other words, I went from thinking "Man! I am so sex-positive! I am totally allowed to enjoy sex and to say no to sex if I don't want it. Take that, male chauvinism!" to thinking "Um, ok. Also, I have the right to want sex just because I want it, and I have the right to want specific things out of sex. What an awesome reality check!"

However, I've always been really uncomfortable talking about sex- I largely still am, but I've gotten a lot better about it. A while ago, A and I had a long session of heavy petting that was almost entirely instructive- me telling him him some of the theory of how things worked when I masturbate, him trying it out, me demonstrating, trying again, things not working, (boo for contraceptive libido-awfulness) trying different things, discovering my (OM)G-spot, et cetera.

It was possibly the most open I've ever been about the down-and-dirty logistics of my sexuality, particularly the bits where it was clear that I masturbate. I was really, really proud of myself. I've been talking recently with some platonic girl friends of mine about sex, but talking openly with the people I'm having it or potentially having it with is a lot harder. I've also had some pretty open talks with T about kink, which has been more nervewracking, but also amazing.

I've come a long way in the past six months- a long way in a good direction. Go me.

No comments: